District 202 Board honor 19 excellent educators, community members
Last updated 3/26/2020 at 7:26pm
The District 202 Board of Education is recognizing 19 exceptional educators, staff and community members through its 28th annual Awards of Excellence program.
The annual awards ceremony was scheduled for April 8, 2020 but has been postponed because of the COVID-19/Coronavirus pandemic.
“Even though we can’t honor these exceptional people in a public ceremony this year, we are still very proud and grateful for the talent, hard work and commitment shown by each of this year’s winners,” said Board of Education Vice President Rod Westfall who heads the Board’s recognition committee.
"The Board of Education thanks them for their service to District 202” he said.
The Awards of Excellence honor teachers and non-administrative staff who have significantly impacted their students, schools and the community.
A committee of three Board members and the Board’s community ambassador picks the Awards of Excellence winners from nominations from students, staff and parents. The Board of Education has honored 420 individuals since the Award’s inception in 1993.
The Board also presents two special awards that recognize community members for significant service to District 202 and volunteerism:
Plainfield Academy Principal and Plainfield Lions Club and Friends for Charitable Giving member Tod Schnowske will receive the Elizabeth “Bess” Eichelberger award.
Plainfield Interfaith Food Pantry coordinator Patricia Cork will receive the Richard Ira Jones award.
Finally, Central Elementary School Social Worker Paula Wrobel will receive the 5th annual Cheryl Ricciardi Exceptional Student Service Award.
The 2020 Awards of Excellence winners are:
- Plainfield South High School counselor Erin Connolly
- Drauden Point Middle School 7th and 8th grade social studies teacher Eric Kelly
- Heritage Grove Middle School special education teacher Katherine Gulino
- PSHS special education teacher Kris Resendez
- Plainfield East High School teacher aid Davita Parks
- Creekside Elementary School third grade teacher Kelli Kocurek
- Heritage Grove Middle School 7th grade math and communications teacher Faith Whitfield
- Plainfield High School – Central Campus physical education teacher Gregg Bayer
- Lakewood Falls Elementary School 2nd grade teacher Renee Drye
- Bonnie McBeth Learning Center special education teacher Trisha Mathias
- Liberty Elementary School 4th grade teacher Mark Borowicz
- Ira Jones Middle School social worker Dr. Mary Kukla
- PHSCC math teacher Connie Billerman
- Plainfield North High School science teacher Lindsay Casey
- River View Elementary School kindergarten teacher Kim Douglas
- Ridge Elementary School 4th grade teacher Ann Smelser